Lunchtime Favourites


Lunchtime Favourites is the theme at this month's The Recipe Box Swap.

The favourite that comes to mind for me is a chicken wrap. Since I haven't really been making nice lunches for myself and hubby lately it has become irrelevant.

The last special lunch that I can remember having with hubby who comes home for lunch during work days is a Reuben Sandwich. It is special to us because now I know what they taste like! Check out the video here. It is also a great site!

To be fair on myself, I do things like cook the odd fried egg for something special, reheat nice homemade soup, buy things like smoked oysters and canned steak and onion to reheat and put on toast. And I bought pastrami for our version of pastrami on rye, though the rye didn't turn out and when I went to use it the pastrami was used up. I did enjoy it while it lasted. I have a new jar of gerkins now, and my special addition to that sandwich is oyster sauce, yum. I use a small amount of Hot English mustard, my favourite, and grated cheese.

I started making sure I have a large amount of eggs on hand in the fridge. My daughter makes herself fake hamburgers with the hamburger rolls I also keep in the freezer. Then never run it down past two eggs in case they want to make a cake. I try to keep 3 dozen for two weeks. Then say if I have one dozen left, I buy two.

I also buy about every month a tub of Philadelphia Cream Cheese and a small tin of John West tuna Oven Dried Capsicum & Chilli. I mix them together in a bowl and eat that on toast, (better chilled) with a small amount of grated tasty cheese and a small sprinkling of Hungarian Paprika, the sweet one. It is also great on lavash bread or mountain bread with something like sprouts. It is great to have mixed in the fridge, my middle daughter likes it, and that always helps.

I did get this idea from a proper recipe over five years ago I think, this may be it. I also buy the lemon and cracked pepper one for my daughter. I didn't realise, now there are sardine tempters. I buy sardines when I am not buying oysters. As we try to keep the budget down, I buy meat ends for the rest of our sandwiches. Also a packet of six small cans of baked beans or spaghetti for snacks and things. The cupboard is always stocked with vegemite, sometimes I fail on the peanut butter or hazelnut spread that our little girl likes. We have homemade pickles and have jam and all the other traditional sandwich spreads. Not so much of the modern ones.

For at home on toast I keep Anchovette, (a Peck's paste?) and Kraft Cream Cheese spread, always a large jar. If I am cooking it for myself, I put on sliced stuffed olives.

My husband is always happy if there is Golden Syrup in the cupboard, sometimes I run out, but not often, it is a must have. He tends to eat weird things with cheese, like that or jam, forgot which.

I also try to keep onhand pineapple pieces for when the girls make their quick rise pizzas for lunch which they do often.

Comments

Linda you like recipes and cooking go and have a look at
http://www.adayo.net.uhu/karine
Perhaps you like this site.
Oh sorry Linda I forgot that it is written in german. Perhaps you could translate it. The recipes are very easy to follow and delicious.
Linda said…
http://www.adayo.net/uhu/karine/

It is funny it didn't work the first time, but looks the same to me.

I had to google adayo etc.

I think it is the . instead of / ?
Linda said…
My husband understand a little German and I found one sauerkraut recipe. Thanks titania.
Linda said…
I know the words for potato and wonderful etc. so I am doing OK.

What a nice blog.
Pip said…
Hi Linda,
I'm sorry, but after looking at the video of the Reuben sandwich, I don't think I want one, it just didn't appeal to me. I think I will stick to my corned beef and beetroot on rye sandwich.
take care
Pip
Linda said…
Yes, I am a bit of a sauerkraut convert.

Your sandwich sounds lovely. I have been thinking lately about Aussie tastes. Coconut is one favourite, and beetroot must be another. Yum.
Sharon said…
Linda,
Thank you for stopping by for a visit and leaving a comment. It's always nice to *meet* new bloggers and readers. :)

I'll have to come back when I have a little more time and check out some of the recipes. I'm always interested in what people eat.
Anonymous said…
The pizza crust sounds quick and easy--two things that I love! Thanks for the recipes and tips!
Tilly said…
Jam and cheese sandwiches were a common supper time snack when I was little. I always struggle with lunch ideas (I'm not that great with dinner ideas either!).
Joolz said…
Hi Linda

Oh gee, we are the same age and I have just about all the condiments, spreads and things in my pantry that you described in the post.
Gherkins, Pecks Paste, vegememite, cream cheese, sardines, tuna, baked beans, Tom Piper Sausages and vegetables on toast - yum! etc etc! They are my lunchtime staples as well.

I see Pip from Rest is not idleness also visits you. Small world, this blogworld!

- Julie

Popular Posts