Dying to Know


Kim from Brigantia Designs posed this question:

"So that is a snipet from my history - what about you? Have you researched your family tree, come up with anything unexpected? I am a family history addict and bore -so I'd love to hear stories!"
Well, here goes.


When I first thought of what part of my family history to write about, I thought of my relatives who were involved in this:

"Between the years of 1837 and 1854, much of the land on which the Queen Victoria Market now stands was the site of Melbourne's first official cemetery, which housed the remains of an estimated 10,000 early settlers, including those of John Batman.

In 1917, when that Market was extended upon much of the cemetery site, 914 bodies were exhumed and re-interred at other cemeteries around Melbourne, including Melbourne General Cemetery in Carlton, and Fawkner Cemetery, which is now the resting place of the "Old Pioneers".

Most of the other 9,000 bodies remain buried beneath the existing car park. Unfortunately, there are no records of those buried there. Following its closure, the Cemetery fell into disuse and may of the red gum head stones were stolen for firewood. Official records for the cemetery were destroyed during a fire in one of the wings of the Melbourne Town Hall.

Today, the John Batman memorial is housed on the north east corner of the car park site, and a further memorial "Passage" to the 9,000 persons still buried on the site is situated on the corner of Queen and Therry Street."


My family were one of the lucky ones, and I still think of the others and of the little book that you can read about it.




I went to visit their headstones, and would love to go again. I am a country girl and to know some of my family were pioneers in Melbourne is something else.


These photos come from the photostreams on Flickr of Andyroo1964 and rodbev's photostream.

Comments

Joolz said…
Hi Linda

Thanks for dropping by my blog. I'm only new to this so my site is a bit blank at this stage.
What town do you live in? We are in Millicent SA.

I looked thru your list of blogs you follow and Rhonda Jean's is not on the list.

Do yourself a favour and try
www.down---to---earth.blogspot.com

RJ is 60 yrs old and living the simple life with her husband on 2.5 acres in Qld. Her blog is amazing for hints, tips, recipes, good old fashioned advice on gardening and homemaking. I visit daily, although I see she is not going to post everyday as she is a bit busy at the moment.

Once again, thanks for visiting.

Cheers - Julie
I love old cemetries.
Kim said…
Wow! It still fills me with awe and admiration to think of those early settlers, most of whom spent their life savings on tickets and then probably spent three months or more on a boat to get to Australia. When they got there they had to make it work, simple as that. What a heritage you have Linda! So where did your settler ancestors originate from before Australia?
Kim
Linda said…
A Scottish island.
Tilly said…
What a co-incidence, I've just done a post about my Grandparents (as Sunday was Grandparents Day). I'm a family history addict. I'm horrified at how so many people died so young - terrible child mortality rate, women dying in childbirth, whole families dying from TB - all happening in my family. Makes you so grateful for the life you're able to live now. I discovered that my Dad is a fifth generation shoe maker and that one branch of his family had only moved 5 miles over 200+ years.
JGH said…
wow Linda, how interesting! I would think it would feel very odd to visit that spot now. Nice that you have the headstones to reflect on.
Leanne said…
I too dabble in family trees. My husband's line interests me more.
I am adopted & was very close to my adopted grandmother. By tracing the tree I found out my husband & so our children are blood related to my adopted father & grandmother - pretty neat I thought!

I have too many interests & just not enough time sigh!

Love Leanne
what an interesting post.........I know they exhumed some remains from a carpark in downtown Toronto not long ago.
Its a shame todays society is encroaching on these graves.

Gill
Linda said…
Sorry joolzmac I didn't answer your question.

Our town is too small to actually mention, but the closet large town is Wodonga.

Popular Posts