A de-cluttering novel


So many novels are embarassing to admit to reading as a Christian. This is one. It is called Wedding Ring by Emilie Richards. I read all the embarassing bits first, and now find that the novel was not boring in the in between bits. I didn't really want to read it, couldn't remember where I had heard of it, so didn't know if it was suitable for me to read or not.

I said to my husband that it is no wonder that lots of people don't get past reading Laura Ingalls Wilder and Janette Oke. He said you can't read only them all the time. I didn't agree initially but I think he is right of course. It is such a mine field.

The characters are cleaning out the Grandmother's House for the most part of the book. But it isn't what you expect. You find yourself at my age, being able to relate to all the female characters. The daughter is around 37, then I guess 60 and then the Grandma who was born in 1920. My Nana would be 88 now born the same year, my Mum is 66 and I am 44, but I can think back to when I was 37, just.

I was reading Caroline's blog and her Grandma is a similar age. My Nana died when I was 20 and her Mum when my Mum was younger, so the book is a stretch, as there would have been four generations in the book. My family experience is only three.

When they were cleaning out the house, they said the newspapers were old that talked about 9-11, so it is new. It has on the inside of the cover 2004.

It is just so great discussing this cleanup and decluttering such a topical book. It certainly helps the cause for decluttering and simplicity.

The best part for me is that it is part of a trilogy and that my library has them all. Often we don't have all the great US published books here of the type I like. They are set in Virginia.

Thanks to this review for putting me onto the trilogy. This particular book is a quilting novel.

I had a little trouble believing the wisdom of the Grandaughter, her philosophies sounded like someone in their early to mid 40s. However, she had to be the age she was for her Grandma to have the life history she did.

The telling of their experience with their dog, sounded like some of the things I heard from dog breeders when I was organising a new dog for our family.

There were so many popular themes from the places I have hung out on on the internet, I'm sure there is something in it for everyone here.

I could relate to the experiences of throwing out the canned produce, I have been throught that myself.

I was left with the feeling my life etc. is outdated as the two younger characters, one a teacher and her well-heeled Mom, life a modern life. The books has lots of different levels in it to think about, but a happy book overall.

The book was an example of simplicity, of what to buy, de-clutter and a way to live.
Apple Blossoms, Shenandoah Valley, Virginia

Comments

Caroline said…
A very thought provoking post. So much so I thought I might go up to the library & ask about this book.
Thanks Linda & have a lovely weekend with your family won't you.
Caroline
Linda said…
Thank you Caroline.
The dB family said…
I read this book! I can't remember when or why, but I remember it stirring up a lot of thoughts. Thanks for posting about it. I may have to read it again with your thoughts in mind.

Popular Posts