Remembrance Day



This is a poppy growing in my garden. I found a punnet and was happy and bought them. They were struggling, but this plant surprised us with a flower, it is quite a large plant. I love the spots.

The other photos were taken by my middle daughter in Canberra in mid October, the same time the poppy came out.

The first one is of the War Memorial. I have been to the research part but not the museum, and of course seen it from the end of the street.



The photo of the bugle is great. It reminded me of my great great uncles who died at Gallipoli. I found some information online, though it made me sad for a little while. I was learning about Ypres. Then I found some more of his brother's information.



I found out the name of the school he went to that identifies which part of the city my Grandma lived in before she emigrated. I remembered later I knew the street name, and it looks to be close by. The uncle was here as a teenager and it seems worked near to where my Grandma lived, which I didn't know. Then four years later he went back to the Northern Hemisphere, and only lived another 7 months. His brother was 8 years older and they died within three months of each other. It seems to map out a scenario that I wasn't clear on before.







I have heard their names are in Sydney, and have seen their names in a newspaper The Age printed perhaps in the 80s.

Comments

Caroline said…
Lest we forget.
Thanks Linda these posts are precious. Are you going to any ceramonies today. It is a very busy day for my DS who is in the army
Linda said…
Hi Caroline. I have never been to a ceremony. I lived in a little town when I grew up, no monument, there was an RSL hall three miles away. Not sure what happened there i.e. why I wasn't made more aware.

My daughter was chosen to go with the school today, she is nearly 7. My other daughter picked some flowers. They are both buying a poppy each this morning I hope.
Dorothy said…
The Poppy reminded me of the poem In Flanders Field. It's beautiful.
Leaon Mary said…
That is incredible Linda... what history behind your family... I bet it did make you sad for a little while.
Isn't it something the more we age,.... and have "grown up," that we consider... that we ... appreciate where we "come from." How they lived, what they went through. I'm glad you found this.. and now have it ... in your heart to "remember."
Blessings my friend,
a poppy a day keeps the doctor away! heehee
Lea
Poppies are my most favourite flowers, I just love their colours.

Gill in Canada

Popular Posts