Speaking of Sloppy Joes...

Today I was reading flmom's post on Sloppy Joes. I thought I would post about my Sloppy Joe experiment of a few years ago.

My Sloppy Joe recipe (hadn't heard of these before this it was August '05) is adapted from:

www.cooksrecipes.com/sandwich/sloppy_jose_recipe.html

I have Australianised it!

Sloppy Jose


600-800g minced steak
2 medium onions, chopped
200g taco sauce (I have written hot sauce maybe I meant temp.) medium
8 hamburger buns
mozzella and tasty cheese
shredded lettuce
mayonnaise
Tinned beetroot (canned beets?)

Cook beef and onion and a large frypan until beef is browned, drain. Stir in taco sauce, bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 to 3 minutes. Serve on buns with toppings. Makes 8 servings.


We really enjoyed them, so the experiment was a success. That is why I had written down what we did I suppose.


Sloppy Joe's Bar in Duval Street, Key West, Florida, USA by Angelo Cavalli
Sloppy Joe's Bar in Duval Street, Key West, Florida, USA

Comments

flmom said…
I'm sure my hubby would love to put onions in the ones he makes, but I hate onions (with the exception of onion rings) and our boys don't care for them at all. It's interesting to see how many different versions there are all around the world.
Linda said…
That was an American one that I doctored up. Not that it probably needed it, but I thought they would go nice with it.
Connie Peterson said…
We use tomato sauce (not Ketchup - I think you call our "Ketchup" "tomato sauce" -- it's the sauce of the tomatoes - runny tomato paste??? We don't use taco sauce.

Mine has sauce, poultry seasoning, onions, brown sugar and salt. Tinned beetroot IS canned beets. Don't use them!

I like the idea of the cheese. I usually take a slice of cheese and melt it on the top but Norm doesn't like that, so his is plain.

Yummy recipe.

Oh, I grew up calling them "steamburgers" .. strange!
Tatersmama said…
Can I pass this one along? I'm American, so have always done the "regular" version, but now that I'm in Oz, I wouldn't mind making some changes. :o) Although my guy eats anything I cook.

Popular Posts