Back To Basics Challenge


Sowing seed or Planting


Hubby brought home some large garlic from our new house.



Planning for The Future - meal planning, the next seasons garden plan, working out storage plans or more long term goals and projects like plans for digging root cellars

I have been looking at hundreds of wild plums laden with fruit. So thinking if we could wildcraft some plums near our new house.

I was studying my Indian Cooking Class book by AWW. Ages ago I wanted to get my eldest to buy some Indian ingredients for me. I didn't know what they were off hand. It must have been asafoetida powder and some jaggery. Of course, you don't need jaggery as you can use palm sugar. I bought some asafoetida powder from Herbies spices, so look forward to making some more recipes from my book. It is the site's fourth selling item.

Working for the Future - storing food, managing stores, preserving, building that home made cob or solar oven, adding house insulation, saving for manual grain mills etc


I didn't realise, but our son found some scooters at the tip. They are electric. One has the parts that the other one needs. So our middle daughter and her Dad have been working on them to see if they can get a scooter to work!

Unfortunately our freezer constantly needs defrosting as we probably need a new one. Hubby defrosted it on Boxing Day to keep our food from getting any softer.

Hubby apparently found some stove elements at the tip. When we bought this house that we live in, the stove looked new and white in my memory. On settlement day we found an old stove. One element was raised up and therefore the pots slightly on an angle. Friday night I saw the top of the stove lifted up. Had no idea what hubby was doing (usually I know but these days it seems no one tells me of their finds etc.) but it turns out I have a new element and hopefully it makes for a much better cooking experience. It saved buying a whole new stove.

Building Community - volunteering, donations, joining an existing community group, forming your own community group, taking a cake to a friend having a hard time, calling someone you just let drift out of your life, etc


I helped my daughter's friend's parents get their Christmas shopping done by having their daughter over for a sleep-over. They like us live a long way from decent shops.

Learn a new Skill


Well, this week I am going to mention a skill that my husband taught our son. Our son was using the shovel, and I assume too much pressure was put on it and it broke. On Wednesday, he taught him how to replace a shovel handle.

On Tuesday I saw our middle daughter manually hedge trimming, and our little girl who is seven sitting up sewing around some material for a sachet for her Nana. Her Dad taught her a stitch she could use and helped her when she ran out of thread. The stitches were quite nice. She had gone around once herself and had decided her stitches were right, that is when she learnt the new ones. Now we are hoping to continue and do a nine patch. So far I have found some instructions. The squares have been chosen, cut out and attached to each other. My Mum gave the girls some material remnants on Christmas Day.

She also gave our little girl some money for her present. On Saturday she took her money to the shop and bought a kit to make a scarf. It is like a basic loom.

I saw in the November issue of the Australian Better Homes & Gardens a pattern for crochet on the tops of towels to hang on the stove, and some washcloths. If I can get my hands on a copy I would like to learn how to make towel toppers.


Click on the photo for more of this photostream.

Comments

Tania said…
Good morning Linda,

Hope you and your family had a good Christmas and enjoying the rest time now, I know I am.

I got so stressed leading up to Christmas this year, it came around too quickly, but as usual on the day it was fine.

Love this post. We are not allowed to take things from our local tip. We used to 'shop' at the Kimba dump but that is going to stop because the local council is taking over so no more goodies for us. Shame because a lot of stuff that is thrown out is still useful. A while back hubby picked up a Makita Techscrew drill and a 750watt Makita hammer drill. All the hammer drill needed was some new brushes and the other drill had got wet and just needed drying out. Both are still working well.

I am pleased that your children are learning some skills, I didn't teach my girls much when they were little. Now they are adults they want to learn. My son loves to learn and Dad is organising his first tool box set. He is 12.5years.

I have talked too much already, so wishing you all a great day.

I am off out to take some photos for my blog this afternoon.

xTania
I so wish I could crochet, it may be something I will attempt to learn in 2009.

Gill in Canada
Anonymous said…
My sister has a subscription to this magazine so I am going to see if I can borrow her copy. I will let you know if you would like some instructions.
Shaz said…
Hi. I just came across your blog and thought that I would share some links for some crocheted towel toppers incase they might be of help for you.

http://home.inreach.com/marthac/tops.html

http://www.crochetpatterncentral.com/directory/towel_toppers.php

http://mylifeinknots.blogspot.com/2007/05/crochet-towel-topper.html

You are lucky being able to get things from your local tip for free. We don't have that luxury here. My father always used to love seeing what he could come home with for the dump for free. Amazing what some people throw out. One mans junk is definitely another man's treasure.
Linda said…
Here are my favourites:

http://www.jacqscrochet.com/handtoweltopper.htm

http://www.craftown.com/cropat29.htm

Here is a crochet stitch conversion chart.

http://www.crochetaustralia.com.au/webcontent3.htm#CROCHET%20STITCH%20CONVERSION%20CHART%20-%20American%20to%20English

or

http://tinyurl.com/2vhubt

I think I would rather the Australian pattern and cotton to start with if I can buy it easily it is Patons. Nice colours. I do love looking at the American patterns and have crocheted with American instructions. Some patterns are very pretty and interesting.

Popular Posts