Patience is a virtue

All through my life this saying has been important to me. I don't remember where it came from or where I heard it. I think I thought it important because of the virtue part.

It has been a long time since I have been to a bible study.

Does anyone remember where that saying comes from or where you heard it first?

I have often been on the verge of explaining it to my children, hoping it will mean something to them and gave up I think.

Is it really just an Irish saying?


Now, I wish I had been to more Bible studies because I came across Romans 5:3-5 which talks about patience in the King James version. More easy to understand in RSV but uses a different word.

King James

And not only [so], but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience;
And patience, experience (proof); and experience, hope:
And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us.

RSV:

More than that, we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance,
and endurance produces character, and character produces hope,
and hope does not disappoint us, because God's love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit which has been given to us. (Blue Letter Bible)

Why does experience or character produce hope I wonder? In the middle of enduring things, hope seems far away. I didn't find the answer but enjoyed this podcast.

Proof: test, trial evidence.

Experienced it and proven your good character or learnt something from it.

Those are notes my husband said to me while looking things up in the concordance. I am enduring something at the moment, which is tiresome. It has been going on for four years. Nothing bad has come of it, though something did, but nothing that probably can't be recovered from. I suppose in the end it will right itself, and that only patience or endurance is needed. Yes, I could move away from it, but I haven't ever done that.



Words to Live By: Patience by Debbie DeWitt
Words to Live By: Patience

Comments

Popular Posts