Moving To The Country


I promised on my Jamie's Just Pass It On post, a review of theproducegarden's best videos. This video came to mind first as I watched it recently. It is called Moving To The Country. It seems to lend itself better to a post by itself as it turned out. I will watch some more of the videos. I have seen lots, but will watch some more in case I have missed something I know you would like.



It fits in great with a blog post I found on A Homesteading Neophyte. Also my post called De-cluttering and Self-Sufficiency. Apart from my husband's stash of wood and things like that, we also have a lot of tools. Not the ones you see in the hardward catalogues, things he had when he first set up house I assume well over thirty years ago. We even have things from our Grandfathers. Tools do wear out though and this year we have had to replace at least two things. We are of the kind that we keep things going for as long as possible. What comes to mind is a lawnmower catcher, though I forget the details now. Hubby will be buying one or two more modern cordless type tools when we get a chance I think.

We have our own chainsaw. It sat in the shed for many years. We have a newer one now. But it was great to find a log that no one wanted, that was too big and rip into it with this saw and bring the wood home. Even though this place is surrounded by gum trees, we have to drive half an hour to get our wood, though we are still grateful.


I prefer the older one, and in a previous post explained why this new one is a help to us. The new ones of course have more safety features. When I was little my Grandfather cut himself on the neck I think with a chainsaw. Can you imagine. I remember visiting him in hospital. He was quite alright, though I don't know a lot of the details.

The old chainsaw I love it reminds me of cutting wood with my Dad I think. Maybe I just love old engines. So I actually used some extra money that I could have used for something I wanted to get the chainsaw.

I have been thinking about the oxymoron The Homesteading Neophyte mentioned.

"First, meet your neighbors. Community is a huge part of being self sufficient. I know that sounds like an oxymoron, but it really isn't. Unless you are incredibly well off, you will not be able to acquire everything needed to live. Find out which neighbors think like you do, then sit down and talk. Work out what you can do for each other. And older neighbor my not be able to milk by hand, but can afford a milking cow, another neighbor has a tremendous green thumb, yet a black one when it comes to small livestock. Figure out what you can do for one another, work out deals and barters, creating a neighborhood that is reliant on one another."

It is actually an oxymoron I decided. But I don't think it matters too much. I thought this a few days ago but didn't write in down. If I can be more specific and remember it I will add it in.

Comments

Thistledew Farm said…
I liked the involve your neighbor idea. I think self sufficiency is less prudent than community sufficiency. I think that is what is missing from a lot of society today - we don't mingle with our neighbors and we prefer to get things from impersonal locations rather than know what is being created. We also don't have anyone to turn to if we have troubles so we make our problems less manageable - Thanks for giving me the opportunity to "think".
Tania said…
Tools, I think my hubby has just about all there is to buy, he could open his own hardware store! It seems that way anyway. He is a tool lover and has a collection of old and new tools. He inherited quite a few tools from his father when he passed away. Hubby hates the thought of borrowing anything in case it gets broken so he usually buys his own as required. "A man can never have enough tools" he says.

We have a chainsaw for cutting wood. Often the council will cut down a tree and hubby will go cut it up and bring it home. Otherwise he offers to cut down trees for people.

I have added a link to "The Big Galah" on my blog, if you want to have a look.
Dorothy said…
There's a lot to consider in moving to the country, but it's a great place to live!
Anonymous said…
That's a great quote about how self-sufficiency requires the help of others! How true, that we have so many things to share with each other, and that none of us can be truly self-sufficient.

Popular Posts