Jamie's Just Pass It On

I have been reading some wonderful posts about this today. Jamie's Ministry Of Food is the only other TV show I have been watching apart from Australian Idol for the past few weeks, well two, we are on to the third show I think of Jamie's show. The show is on Channel 10 in Australia on Wednesdays at 7.30pm.

The girls got excited about the meatballs on the show. The recipe is on a great video that I learnt something from.

Just Original's Post
Josie-Mary's Post
and At Home with Mel~Mel's Post

I hadn't heard of the Ministry of Food book mentioned in one of the above posts. I have been looking at the recipes on the site. I even went as far to find Patak's Jalfrezi curry paste in Coles when I was at the regional centre recently. I didn't find any though.

I did put the Good Old Chilli Con Carne in my menu plan to try. The kids preferred the way we usually make it, I suppose they have had this recipe all their lives, and one son, like me will eat chickpeas, but sometimes we aren't that keen in particular dishes. If anyone knows the original Australian way of making Chilli Con Carne I would love to know how to make that, I think it is the best. Ours is similar but has baked beans and butter beans in it, but doesn't quite taste the same. Mum didn't make Chilli Con Carne, more savoury mince.

I was listening to a favourite simple living video series the other day, in this case theproducegarden's favourite cookbooks. He was talking about Jamie and said something that surprised me. I love Jamie myself.



I am going to do a post of my favourite videos by theproducegarden soon. I have borrowed the book he mentioned from my library. I love that particular TV show. I love the china Jamie used to serve up. The gardening ideas are nice to watch. The show of course is Jamie At Home.

I suppose the recipe that comes to mind that I like to pass on the the traditional Australian Chow Mein. The newer recipe for this has been changed. Thankfully I remember the original. I also have found another great one online called Essential Chow Mein from New Idea. It is great if I have boc choy in the fridge to use up. That way I can make something everyday and use up the boc choy at the same time. It would be great if you grow your own boc choy. My family are great vegetable growers and they grow it now.

Chow Mein

(Serves 4-5 people)

2 tbs oil
1 dessertspoon curry powder
3-4 sticks celery, sliced
250g or 1/2lb beans, sliced
1 pkt chicken noodle soup
1 onion, chopped
500g beef mince or hamburger
1/2 cabbage, sliced
1 teaspoon dried mixed herbs, optional
1 tablespoon tomato sauce or ketchup
1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
1 tsp salt

Warm oil and fry meat until brown. Add onions when soft add curry powder, stir for a minute. Add soup mix and water. Place all vegetables into the mixture with cabbage on top and cook for around 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve with rice and soy sauce or sauce. Can add pineapple pieces.

The Cabbage Patch by Anton Mauve
The Cabbage Patch

Comments

Heart Felt said…
You just made me super hungry....xx
Caroline said…
You inspire me to menu plan a bit better than I have been Thankyou Caroline
Tania said…
I too have been following Jamie's journey, but I am finding most of the ingredients in his recipes, I don't keep on hand.

I have tried the Parmesan chicken breasts with crispy posh ham, the Everyday green chopped salad and Mini shell pasta with bacon and peas. The chicken breasts were a hit with this family. So I had better pass this one on. My son wasn't keen on the other two recipes. He preferred the way I make salad. I have checked out another site you might not know of.

http://www.5dollardinners.com/


Enjoy you day,

Tania
Linda said…
Hi Tania, the chicken looked very nice on TV last night.

I checked out the bacon one then:

http://www.channel4.com/food/recipes/chefs/jamie-oliver/mini-shell-pasta-with-creamy-smoked-bacon-and-pea-sauce_p_1.html

and the salad:

http://www.jamiesministryoffood.com/content/c4/recipes/everyday-green-chopped-salad

I see what you mean, cress I don't think I have seen ever.

Popular Posts