I Remember Laura ~ Family Heirlooms




Welcome to my new blog. This is where I think you will find me from now on. Please excuse my lack of Blogger skills. Here is the place where my previous entries are. This is the theme for this week.

"This will wind up the blog-a-thon with one last link up featuring your cherished family heirlooms. Ma Ingalls most prized possession was her little china shepherdess which rested upon a hand carved bracket made by Pa Ingalls as a gift. Show us something or more than one thing that has been handed down to you that you cherish and plan to hand down to the next generation. Tell us the story of how it came to be in your family, why it is special, and who you plan to gift it too."


I didn't realise we had another week of the blog-a-thon, so thanks for the reminder!

I am at the point now in my life that things that were given to me or photos, I am starting to forget the details of. So it pays to write more details, things you will remember forever, because they may be a chance that you won't. Or maybe tell someone with a younger memory while you still have a good recollection of the items history.

I think there may have been a mention of this in the Caroline series of books.

Today I visited a collectibles shop. There was a notice on the window that it is closing tomorrow. We were there for other reasons, but my daughter knows we always take a peak in there, and went to look in the windows before we did the other thing we had to do! She told me that there was a book by Laura in the window. So to remember the closing of my special shop and the memory of the other things I do in that town I bought the book. It is My Little House Book of Animals and I bought it for my six year old daughter. I thought it may be of interest to those who read the interview with Melissa Wiley. These picture books, and chapter books are other new books that are fantastic along with Melissa's books and those by Celia Wilkins, and Maria Wilkes and Cynthia Rylant.

When the girls paged through the book I noticed the picture of Ma with her apron full of chickens. You could just imagine.

The collectibles shop today had a button accordian and some lovely metal canisters. A lovely dresser, odd pretty plates, beautiful doilies, a wok, a cute chair, all lovingly displayed. I wonder if the lady would have minded if I wanted to take a photo. I didn't think of that.

I did however notice a Billy Tea sign. I want to share that with you. The photo gives an idea about the town, that is why there is such lovely collectibles to be found in that area.



When we were first married and my husband was in his original job before he went to a corporate job, he had the time as he had quite a lot of holidays to make things for our home and garden. The first thing that comes to mind is the garden bench. He was given some oregon and this is what he made it with.


When my last grandparent on my Mum's side died, we were allowed to take some of the furniture. We also were given some of my Mum's furniture from my childhood at the same time. My hubby refinished some of those.

I think the things that we like best from the time we were starting out as a family where the etchings that my husband's family gave to us. It is nice to have some art to hang on the walls that is timeless.

I don't know what kind of things my daughter's would like passed on to them. As they grow older I am hoping they give me a little clue.

Please visit Quill Cottage to read other posts in the Blog-a-Thon, I Remember Laura.

Comments

The Apron Queen said…
I also recently bought some Laura books for my girls. My intention was to buy new books, but I came across a vintage set of 9 of her books from the 1970s. I snagged it up. I would have been reading Laura books as a little girl in the 70s. Now my daughters can share the same memories from the books and from books from the same time period.

For your daily dose of vintage goodness & a bit of silliness, stop by Confessions of an Apron Queen
Vee said…
I like your new blog...what an original name!

Reading through your comments makes me realize that I didn't follow through on the assignment. I have no idea who would be the most interested in my treasures. Sometimes "outsiders" express more of an interest and I don't want to make the mistake of assuming that family members aren't interested.

I am sorry to read that the shop is closing. I hear more of that all the time and find it sad.

Your husband sounds very talented with re-creating treasures.
Sandy said…
What wonderful memories of your cherished heirlooms. The garden bench sounds delightful and special as it was made by your husband. Thank you so much for being a part of this special event. I have enjoyed getting to know you through your posts. Blessings,
Miss Sandy
What neat memories!

(And thanks for the link to my blog!)
Anonymous said…
I'm just now getting to visit the other entries for this week's theme.

It's too bad that shop is closing! It sounds wonderful.

I am glad you have some furniture and art passed down to you.

Popular Posts