Brrr

Just when I thought spring was around the corner, winter is back with a vengeance. This morning hubby was digging up our six David Austin standard roses, two pink, two white and two red. It was warm in the sun. Hubby said that it was a pocket of warm air. Boy, was he right. The day turned out to be about 9oC and tomorrow we won't even go there.

Today I decided since I only have one new fleecy lined windcheater (the others are old and the fleece lining, in fact all of it, are a shadow of their former selves) I would have to wear skivvy, two polar fleece jumpers, one v-necked, and my jacket. So this is what I did. I could have improved with a beanie and more waterproof or warmer shoes.

I got to the new house, and we brought firewood along with us. The house was dark, smelt of mould, I won't go there. Decided in the end any opinions I will have to keep to myself. In the end we left the house and it was nice and cheery. The lino I was pleased with after viewing it on my own in some quiet moments. Decided that months ago when I decided on that look that I did a good job. Sort of a cream, sunny lemon look with hint of purple. Decided unless the back entry had the cream look in the new colour of paint I chose for it, I will have to choose again.

So I embraced winter. (Tomorrow though I think I will try reading and staying warm inside if I can.) The rain came down very cold and soaking, though not heavy. Regular. So I just ducked under the verandah when needed. Spent a lot of time standing. What was hubby doing? More digging. He dug holes that we had already marked out, put gypsum in the soil and planted the roses in the same order we took them out. He had marked them with wool, two colours and one unmarked, as his mother had done for us when she gave them to us four years ago.

The roots had tree roots in them. They were dying. The drought had made the tree seek water where the water was put, on the roses. The soil here is terrible, but there fantastic. So maybe a happy ending, if the roses can survive their roots snapping a little, which they did. They are just beginning to shoot.

We feel the garden they came from looks better without them, and the new garden better with them, so so far so good.

When we got home it was only 17oC in the house. It is warm now, but my hands are still cold. My son told me that some very sad things are on the news in Canberra today. I wondered if winter caused some of the sadness or contributed in some way. The cold got worse, and today it snowed there. My son thought it was hailing but found it was snowing! He embraced his season with bulbs and had a fun day. I hope the sad stories don't upset them too much.

My heart goes out to The Produce Garden. I hope you had a nice day even with less lights. There is a new post about kangaroos, so maybe some fun was to be had, great!

So everyone, enjoy your snow etc. Enjoy your early flowers. On the last day of August last year we bought our new house and did lots of gardening, so spring must be really around the corner.



Comments

Lanny said…
I was very confused when I began reading your blog. I thought perhaps it was a very old post, so I looked at the date and time and became even more confused. Then I read your side bar. AAAhhh I am no longer confused. I am very happy to be reading about weather very different from mine, not only different weather but a different season. I am located in Washington state, the Pacific Northwest of the United States.

Today I am just happy for the clouds I got this weekend so that I do not have to drag hose all over my yard, but your post today reminded me of our late arriving spring this year. It snowed on us everyday of the first week in May. Everyone called June, Junuary, until the end which was so beautiful that we were actually able to get hay done and in during the last week. But then our July was hot and dry, more like our typical August.

Well all that to say, I find your blog very interesting and I am glad I visited and I may just continue to come back for more. More of a different perspective.

Popular Posts