At The Well ~ Words We Speak


I found this meme a little while ago, but hadn't done a post for it. A Magnolia's Heart Beats left me a comment on Word-Filled Wednesday and it led me to her hosting of this week's At the Well. So I thought I would try to answer her questions about The Words We Speak which is this week's topic. To find her page click on the image on the left.




Here are the questions:

  1. Do the words you speak reflect your reverence for Christ?
  2. Would you consider your speech to be self-controlled and pure?
  3. Do you find gossip and slander hard or easy to avoid?

I find that watching some TV shows with a surprise at the end, when the homeowners come home for example and they say Oh My *** I find that difficult. Most of them say it, which is very distressing. I also have had difficulty after Steve Irwin died, because I found myself echoing his catch phrase, then had to stop it again.

I have found myself in a discussion with a family member about a word, that during my life I have replaced with the word sugar. It is a s word that one member who doesn't swear uses starting with c. I find when trying to find alternative words, that owl on Winnie the Pooh is a good example. I think my Nana used the word Blast.

My Dad was very good with soft answers etc. Proverbs 15:1. He died this May and that was the legacy he left me. I find that it is harder to hang onto that as time goes by.

I do find gossip easy to avoid. The only difficulty with me is finding a private place to discuss things with my husband. I think after my step-children left home it changed me quite a lot. The trouble is, it is quite a long time ago to share about with great accuracy.

I have a new problem with what seems or could be complaining. Phillippians 2:14-15 It relates to doing what my husband asks about moving and if we should stay here or go back to our hometown. It is hard to discuss issues like that. My usual approach would be to stick things out, and not to back out of a decision already made. In this case a snake really did make me do it. A snake in my house. I have had a lot of miracles lately so I think I do know I would be OK. It is probably just cold feet.

I met a lady last week that I described to myself as a Salt of the Earth type. She was older than me, and I hope not a dying breed of person. She was such a blessing to me, it would be nice to bless someone else in the same way.

Comments

Tilly said…
I found this post really interesting. I was educated at a Church of England school but I don't practice any religion, and, truth be told, I couldn't really say whether I believe in God or not. I have to admit that I do sometimes swear but not of a 'religious' kind, and since I have children I try to make sure that I use words like 'shoot'. I like a good gossip but to me the word gossip relates to a good old chit-chat of catching up about people rather than saying nasty things about them. As I'm at home with Nipper the opportunity to gossip rarely arises. As an aside, I think my lack of faith has stood me in good stead recently as I'm not sure my relationship with God (had there been one) would have survived my recent miscarriage. Really interesting Linda - made me think. (Hope nothing I've written here causes any offence).
Hill upon Hill said…
I agree about the G** word in vain. I find it quite hurtful actually, imagine what how the Lord feels. Felt the same re Steve Irwin too. So what happened with the snake?
Linda said…
No offence taken tilly.

A snake came into our new house our son and my hubby had just finished eating lunch and my son came upon it.

Popular Posts