Butch Cassidy or the Sundance Kid?

Which did you like best?

I am talking of course about a movie Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, played by Paul Newman and Robert Redford.

I have named my cat Cassidy but the Sundance Kid was my favourite. David Cassidy was a big favourite too.

We were discussing the real names of the real Butch Cassidy only this week. So it is really an end of an era to hear that Paul Newman, the actor who played Butch Cassidy has died.

My Dad, who has also passed away was a big Western movie fan. In the early days of my parents divorce I used to visit Dad and see him watching these movies. It is ironic that I love Western novels now, like Stephen Bly. We both like horses so maybe that has something to do with it.

In Australia we have the Paul Newman's Own brand of groceries. It was he that introduced me to a salad dressing that I didn't realise at the time was very popular in the US. I think it was Ranch dressing. I haven't seen it for awhile though, maybe it is because my shopping style has changed.

Having said that, I think I remember the charity helping the people of the Outback. Not sure if this was the same donation but here is a similar story, at the bottom of the page.

What are your memories of Paul Newman or Butch Cassidy or even Paul Newman's charity or products?

I have added in how to play the right hand of The Entertainer on piano! Thanks JGH from Nyack Backyard!


Comments

Heart Felt said…
I fell in love with Paul Newman after watching Cool Hand Luke...those eyes!
flmom said…
My kids love the pretzels and raisins from the Newman's Own Organics line.
DeniseinVA said…
Paul Newman had some wonderful roles. Hubby and I saw Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid in the movie theatre when it first came out but I think Cool Hand Luke was also a very memorable movie. I was always impressed with the fact that in Hollywood he and his wife had stayed married for all those years. I remember an interviewer asking him years ago how come when all those Hollywood starlets must be throwing themselves at him. His answer was simply and not sure if I have it all to the exact detail, "Why go out for hambuger when you've got steak at home?" I don't ever remember anything bad ever being said about him. In that world with the darker side of the media trying to find out every sordid detail to sell magazines and papers, that says a great deal. My heart goes out to his family in their loss.
Pip said…
Paul Newman does it for me, yep those eyes, so blue.
take care
Pip
JGH said…
Paul Newman once said "The sad thing is that my groceries are out-grossing my films."

I saw Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid at a drive in movie with my parents. Probably one of the first "adult" movies I'd ever seen. It made a big impression on my brother. And don't forget "The Sting" with the incredible Scott Joplin soundtrack. We spent lots of time at the piano trying to learn those tunes. Lots of great memories he gave us.
Linda said…
Thanks jgh! The Entertainer is lovely to listen to. I have added in a link. There are lots on Youtube.

Popular Posts