How to make Nori Rolls




I have been watching some more of the producegarden videos and this one is very good. I have combined it with my experience of seaweed and nori rolls.

I saw Janella Purcell use some arame seaweed in a soup for elderly people in a show where she helps improve their diets, still haven't found the name of it. So this prompted me buying the arame, the soup looked delicious and I was distressed I couldn't make it. Now to find the recipe or the show and then hopefully make it. I have Janella's book on my list with the library but it hasn't come yet. I bought the arame at a Health Food shop when I was in my hometown as well as the miso and some kombu that I don't think I have used yet.

When we made the Nori Rolls, it was the first time we had eaten Lebanese Cucumber. It won us over. It is also great in a rocket salad.

I bought pickled ginger later and agree with the producegarden about it. Wasabi is like horseradish and anyone who likes Hot English mustard or horseradish should like it. I love Wasabi Peas.

Rocket Salad

Toss together:

3-4oz (100g) arugula or rocket leaves
1/3 cup (metric bit less for US) drained sun-dried tomatoes, halved
1 lebanese cucumber, sliced
and 1/4 cup (60ml) fat-free balsamic salad dressing.

Serve with garlic bread and pasta, (garlic and herb sauce).

Brown Rice, Tuna & Cucumber Nori Rolls

265g brown rice
2 tabs rice vinegar
1 tab caster sugar/superfine sugar
1 teaspoon salt
185g can tuna in spring water, drained
1 tablespoon low-fat mayonnaise
1/4 teaspoon wasabi paste
3 tablespoons white vinegar (1tab is 20ml)
4 nori sheets
1 lebanese cucumber, cut into 5cm long batons
1/2 red capsicum or bell pepper cut into 5cm long batons
pickled ginger to serve
soy sauce to serve.

Bring the rice and 3 1/2 cups metric cold water to the boil in a large saucepan over high heat. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 25 minutes or until all the water is absorbed. Remove from the heat, cover and set aside for 10 minutes to steam.

Stir the rice vinegar, sugar and salt in a small bowl until the sugar dissolves. Add to the rice and stir until well combined. Cover a large baking tray with foil. Spread the rice over the tray, then set aside until cooled completely.

Combine the tuna, mayonnaise and wasabi in a small bowl. Set aside.

Place the white vinegar and 250ml (1cup) water in a bowl. Place one nori sheet, shiny-side down, on a bamboo mat or sheet of greaseproof paper, with the long side of the nori closest to you. Dip your fingers in the vinegar water and use them to evenly spread a quarter of the rice over the two thirds of the nori sheet closet to you, leaving a small border around the edges.

Spread 2 tablespoon of the tuna mixture along the centre of the rice. Top with the cucumber and capsicum. Lift the end of the mat or paper closet to you and roll it over the ingredients to enclose them. Continue rolling to make a complete roll. Repeat to make three more rolls. Wrap each nori roll tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.

Cut the rolls in half or slice them, and serve with pickled ginger and soy sauce.

From: Family Circle June 2005? Australian

This recipe is fantastic. It won me over to nori rolls. Just beautiful. It is the only sushi I have eaten.

We haven't made nori rolls much this year as we often are running late on the weekends because we have two houses to run, or fix. We have made the Vegie Patties and they are very nice.



Vegie Patties

425g tin chickpeas
5 carrots, grated, lightly steamed
2 cups brown rice, cooked until soft
3 tablespoon tahini
2 teaspoons miso paste
2 spring onions, chopped
4 sheets nori seaweed, chopped
1/2 cup chopped parsley

Whiz chickpeas in a food processor until broken up. Stir in carrot, rice, tahini and miso. Knead well. Mix in spring onion nori and parsley. Form into balls and flatten slightly. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.

Heat olive oil in a pan over medium heat and cook patties until golden both sides. Makes 12.

From House & Garden AU Feb 2008.

The Vegie Patties are very moorish.






Egg & Nori Rolls

Comments

Caroline said…
I use quite a lot of miso, have to try using wasbi as I just love horseradish. I know what you mean about not cooking so much when you are limited for time- unfortunately it gives me the guilts though.
Linda said…
I'd love to hear about how you use your miso sometime.
Tilly said…
I absolutely LOVE nori rolls!
Hill upon Hill said…
I have been eating sushi (nori rolls) everyday for lunch. Very yummy. I have started to take shortcuts though and found they work just as well. Hot here today, how about you?
Linda said…
You guys surprise me a little. The rice is just yummy though isn't it?

I got ready for the heat as my husband said it was going to be hot. I wondered about the cut off jeans inside without socks and put a jumper on for awhile. Then it was hot outside, and windy. At tea time we had the fans on.

Popular Posts