Thankful Thursday ~ December 25

Iris has a special Thankful Thursday this week.

"I will be hosting Thankful Thursday on Christmas Day.

Lets do something special for Christmas Day. I would like you to think back (way back for some of us). I would love for you to share with us a Christmas from your childhood – what stayed in your mind all these years…what you are thankful for…"



Merry Heart by Jo Moulton
Merry Heart



A merry heart doeth good like a medicine: but a broken spirit drieth the bones. Proverbs 17:22


Merry Christmas to all my blog visitors!


I have been thinking about my Christmases past. Not much came to mind that wasn't captured in a photograph. What I did remember today on Christmas Eve that nearly made me cry, was something Mum did for me, that I am pretty sure became a Christmas present.

My Mum when I was a girl, not a little girl, or a big girl, just a girl, worked at the Post Office. On weekends I think, or school holidays we stayed at her work quietly either in the lady's lounge, her Mum's place, in the yard, or hanging around with her son who was a teenager. The son was practising becoming a DJ in the old Post Office. Sometimes I picked jonquils.

This lady who owned the Post Office, her Mum lived next door. I do remember a Santa she had in her lounge, that spoke I think. In 2000 I got my own talking Santa and he is wired to my screen door as I type. The kids have turned him off so he only speaks when asked.

One year Mum was knitting for quite awhile at work. She was the switchboard operator. So she sat on the chair during her shift. So she got to knit my present. Mum doesn't strike me as a expert knitter as her boss was. However, she must be because she knitted in fine blue wool a whole outfit for my doll in very fine detail. I still have the outfit. My doll's name is Suzy. She is a 60s doll and I was happy lately that our local Show or Fair had a section for exhibition only where you could display your doll.

I was also blessed by two other people regarding my doll. I will never forget. My Mum's friend had a room that you came into from outside. She had material all over the place, and sat in there to sew. One day even though she has six children, I was the same age as her fourth child, she sat in there while we played outside. She made small dresses for my doll and even put her initial in ric rac on one of them.

My Nana worked in a hotel making lunches. It was a very old-fashioned place. The teenage daughter of the boss lady one day gave me her dolls clothes. One dress was a sheer brides dress with a covered bead in decoration on it. I felt very special to have that dress. The girl had a room amongst the motel rooms like a boarding house and I got to visit her room sometimes in the courtyard with the lovely hyacinths in wheelbarrows.

So my memory has lots of oldfashioned touches.


First Ones There by Jack Terry
First Ones There

Comments

Tilly said…
Hi Linda, wishing you and your loved ones a very Happy Christmas. It's ben lovely being 'bloggy friends', long may it continue. I did your Christmas meme and will do the reading one in the New Year,xx
Linda, sorry I haven't been around much lately as I've been travelling so have lots of blog reading to catch up on. I just wanted to wish you & your family a wonderful Christmas, and all the very best in the New Year !
Lynda, Kilimanjaro, East Africa
xx
Tatersmama said…
My clearest memories ( have to go a long way back here) have to do with waking my parents up on Christmas morning. Daddy would go downstairs to see if Santa had been there, while we sat on the stairs, trembling in anticipation. Sometimes, Santa had come, but sometimes he hadn't been there yet... and we had to go back to bed. Even if Santa had come, we had to wait while Daddy got the coffee going, made a cup for my mom who was still in bed, and once she had it and got her robe on, we could all go downstairs.
I remember I used to shiver with excitement and joy, because Santa had known that I had been a good girl ... but I never understood why my sister (who had been mostly bad all year) got as many presents as I did!
(Geez, I must have been an insufferable little girl!)

Have a very Merry Christmas...
Karen said…
Merry Christmas to you and your family! :o)
Karen
Linda said…
Thank you to all the people who have wished me a Merry Christmas.

I hope you have had or will have an enjoyable day.
Denise said…
Merry Christmas dear one, be blessed.
Grammy said…
What a wonderful memory.And a treasure to still have the doll.
Big hug.
Merry Christmas.
Bonnie said…
Thank you for sharing your Christmas memories!! Hope you and your family have a very blessed Christmas!
Rita T. said…
Love those old fashioned memories. Merry Christmas!

Popular Posts