1950s Budget Menu

I have been reading about the 1950s budget menu here and here. I have been thinking about it since.

First I thought about what I would put down if I wished to do a menu and use it for the week. Off the top of my head I thought of Jam Roly Poly.

I had a look at the vintage cookbooks on ebay and saw one of my books by Jack Absolom about cooking in the Outback. That reminded me of my Mum's Jam Roly Poly. How expensive could that be? Not very I think.

Then I went looking for it and banged my ankle, and gave up.

Then I was searching again, and a book on ebay came up that wasn't on my original search. I did this search, because upon looking at our cookbooks, I only found one that was 50s! I was agast. My husband's flour recipe book that he loves. Then he mentioned again, about his Grandma's handmade scrapbook and again asked me if I would type out the recipes. So went the weather cools down I must do that, I'd say my life depended on it lol.

It is in storage to save it getting damaged.

I did find that Kraft cheese that is very popular in Australia started in the early 50s. Rindless they called it. Imagine a hot Australian day and the rind that could develop on normal cheese. I just had a thought maybe some people didn't have much in the way of refrigeration. I know you don't actually need to refridgerate that cheese and it is a good idea if you have moved into a flat and have no fridge for a few weeks.

So I bought this small cookbook and look forward to it arriving. We do have older ones, maybe I could use those for inspiration. One is called a Leader book. I noticed in the 1950s American styled recipes seemed popular.

I remember in the 1980s I was still using dripping and things like that, or suet?

Here is a recipe from my Leader Spare Corner book from the 1930s because I don't have my other books yet.

Baked Meat Rolls

Half cup good dripping or butter
Two cups S. R. flour
Saltspoon salt
Little water to mix to nice paste.

Roll out oblong shape. Spread with minced meat season to taste. Roll up. Put in pie dish. Pour over cup boiling water in which has been mixed one tablespoon dripping and one teaspoon flavoring.

Cookie and Cracker Canisters

50s or 60s?

Comments

Tania said…
I have enjoyed reading those
1950's blogs too and must have a look through my recipe books to see what I have, I know I have a few books inherited from my grandmother.

I have the Lady Flo Bjelke-Petersen's Classic Country Collection. A very thick book. Although not old it has all the old fashioned simple recipes that my mother and grandmother used. I got my copy from a store in Adelaide called The Warehouse, not sure if you have these stores over your way, probably called something else.

Tania
Linda, I love reading about old recipes & the 1950's Budget Meny sounds interesting - I will go & look at those 2 links now. Love the photo you published with this post, it caught my eye - are those storage jars ?
Linda said…
They are tins. My aunty had a similar one like the red one. Hers were big enough for sugar and flour etc.

Popular Posts