Fire post again

It is hard to know what to say about the fires. Yesterday I found my blog googled because I had specific towns mentioned as someone was wanting an update.

It was 44oC here yesterday. I felt hot when I woke up, we had a small amount of rain. The temperature is expected to be 5oC cooler than I thought it would be today, still 33oC. It is smokey.

Here is a news article, a small part of it says:

"It's a little bit milder than normal, except from the fact that Beechworth, because it's north of the divide in Victoria, the temperatures are a bit hotter, therefore the fire runs a bit hotter," he said.

I think that is why I was so worried, after watching the footage on TV and feeling so hot at the time.

There are fires to the north of us in NSW, Wagga, Cabramurra, Tumut, and also near Tallangatta in Victoria, I think.

All a distance, but waiting until things settle down, not sure what the weather is doing.

I especially liked Tania's post this morning, I think that was the best and most appropriate post, not that there are many that I have seen, but thank you Tania.

Comments

Tania said…
Hi Linda,

We have got it cooler here with 29C but with gale force winds the last two days.

Trees have blown down all around town because they are so dry from the heatwave.

I rang to check on my daughter, although I knew she was safe as she lives in Carlton. She said the sky from where she is was an orange grey.

Rain is desperately needed to put these fires out.

I have spent the morning glued to the television sobbing my heart out as all the stories unfold from these desperate people. I feel so helpless, all I can offer is a donation and prayers. I can just picture some of these horrific stories and although we are not at risk we have been planning what we could do if we were ever put in this dreadful situation.

Thinking of you,

Tania
Linda said…
Tania, thank you so much for your comment.

We had the yellow light and shadows yesterday evening and a coloured moon.
Scrappy quilter said…
The news doesn't seem to be getting any better. I can't imagine fires like this.
Linda said…
Our Prime Minister says the news is going to be very bad. It was interesting there was a Queen's message, and I read it on the net
We are following this tragic story on the African news here, too - keeping all Australians in our thoughts & prayers during this time.
Yes, we are following this story in Canada too. There are lengthy reports on the newscasts. We're also keeping all Australians in our thoughts and prayers.
Quail said…
The fires have been a lead news story in the UK for two days in a row.

Popular Posts