Fire Preparedness


This was particularly important to me last night as I realised how unprepared I was. We have been listening to the radio since the first evening of the Kinglake fire, my husband had listened in all day then told me about it. We listen to 774 I think. It is the station you listen to if you want to know what is going on and they give out instructions to people who are in fire prone areas.

My son rang me last night with details of a fire 1/2 hour from us by car, but actually closer in miles I think than 30 miles. (30 miles 30 minutes at 60pmh.)

This morning it was featured heavily on this map, and now it has been removed which I guess to mean good news.

Last night my son was urging me after I spoke with him about if we were had to leave here early where would we go; to go onto the NSW Rural Fire Service site to see where other fires were that may be blocking roads. On this site I found details on what to bring if you chose to leave your house. This was discussed on Kez's blog and I thought rather than post more comments, sorry Kez, I would post my own things I have learnt the past few days.

Here is a pdf of a relocation kit. It includes battery operated radio and spare batteries, eye glasses, mobile phone, medication, wallet, clothes, money, bottled water for each person, phone numbers, documents, photos and those things, natural fibre blankets and toys.

We have been looking today at a radio from Dick Smith, I feel we need to have one. Not sure if it is the right one for us yet, still working on it. In the meantime, our daughter's mobile phone has a radio in it, but I heard my husband mention something about earpiece. For those with a Telstra mobile phone for the new network, our battery isn't working at the moment, have to get a new one, did try and have to try again.

Early on we heard that you have to know to leave or stay yourself, by listening to the radio. It was a few days ago so I am sketchy on the details.

The fire we were worried about last night was near a power line so we were worried we may have lost power.

Comments

tina said…
I just heard of the fires down there. I do hope you and your family are staying safe and it sounds like you are prepared. Best wishes that the rains will come and this will pass. Very best wishes from all your blogging friends.
Linda said…
Thank you Tina. I came by your blog today and admired your garden photo.
tina said…
I am relieved you are okay. I was just checking on all you guys down there. I had no idea of the fires then saw it on another blog and finally read this weekend's papers about it all. Please stay safe.
My two best friends hubbys are currently out there as part of Stike teams dealing with these fires and aftermath.
Often people believe according to them that they will be able to get out if they choose to,Sometimes leaving is'nt an option.
You need to have Plans A,B,C.
It is also often thought a fire will come when say Hubbys home and it's daylight or on a weekend...This too may not be the case.
It has been so tragic and heart wrenching.
In GOd we trust...
Stay safe
Linda said…
That is why last night I wasn't happy with ourselves at all. We were tending to do that. We have bought our batteries and battery free radio, I guess that is a small start.
Anonymous said…
Stay safe.
You've been in my thoughts - glad you are safe, to this point, and making plans for your safety!

Hard to believe when we are in cold rain and snow...

God be with you,

Julie
Connie Peterson said…
I have been thinking of you as I hear (and read) news about the fires. They are terrible. I hope you get a plan, soon.

I remember a friend who lived in a deep canyon in the Black Hills of South Dakota. She saw flames and was panicking - and starting to load up her horses and dogs - went in to tell son to get his rear in gear and he said "Mom, have you seen the fantastic Northern Lights tonight?"

She felt dumb, but then made sure she had a plan just in case there was a fire next time!

Blessings
4streegrrl said…
I've been watching the news on the fires for the past few days, mainly because my husband's aunt and her family live near Melbourne (Tawonga near Mt Beauty). Looking at the Google map, it doesn't seem that they have any fires in the immediate area but that could change quickly. His mum is supposed to call her and find out if everything is okay there.

It is too bad that it takes an emergency to realise how important it is to prepare for the worst, but better late than never! I know we are fairly well prepared for an emergency like a massive snowstorm or flood (both of which happened two years ago). Wildfire is another major concern up here, so I do sympathize with your situation.

I hope you and your family stay safe and I also hope that there are no more fatalities from this tragedy.
Catherine said…
We are seeing a lot here in Ireland of the bushfires in Victoria. It is awful and devasation is so bad. The Australian spirit seems to shine through and people care less for their property in the light of the loss of life in their area. It is unimaginable here to see such destruction, we have seen bushfires in Africa that are started deliberately to clear bush but it is not a malicious thing, it is done to revitalise the soil and prepare some tree seeds for germination that need extreme heat. And it is usually in remote unpopulated areas, like game park surrounding land. Though there are often casualties when the wind changes and we nearly lost our house in a remote part of Tanzania and had to cut a firebreak around our perimeter, luckily it worked. The death toll keeps mounting, your premier is very emotional on tv.
On an aside - I saw your map and notice there is a Lismore in Victoria - small world as they actually played cricket in "my" Lismore some years back, my son broke his collarbone during that international! There are a few Lismores in Australia, we are twinned with the NSW one near Byron Bay.
Linda said…
There was a fire in Jingellic yesterday I think, and the fire at Koetong is out, so I am pleased about that. The weather is going to be cool, we thought it would get hot again later in the week.

Now I am hoping my heat rash goes away.
Hill upon Hill said…
Hi, if you have a moment, could you give me the address of the place that you found a list of things to have ready for evacuation, I think you mentioned that it had a nice picture of a blanket on it? I have visited the RFS site, and not seen it. Many thanks, a helpful post, we also need a battery operated radio.
Hill upon Hill said…
PS, what do we do about all the photo's that are not digital?
Linda said…
If you click where I have written pdf you will find it there.

I will pop over to your blog with the link. I think it has advice about photos too.
Louisa Claire said…
hey, look after yourself. don't take any unnecessary risks! for what it's worth...30miles away sounds like close enough given the nature of this beast.
thanks for this post. we need to learn more about being prepared. we have a wind up torch and radio (doesn't need batteries). but don't know the station to tune into in NSW.
Linda said…
Apparently where I am the 7am news is from NSW which must help us a bit. But like you it would be handy to know a radio station like 774 in Victoria.
Tilly said…
Gosh Linda, what a terribly worrying time for you. I've only just become aware of the terrible fires - have had several days away from the blog and very rarely watch the tv. If only we could send you some of our wet weather. Thinking of you very much.

Popular Posts