National Day of Mourning

Australia Flag by David Wall



At 11am this morning I was on the telephone with my Mum, she had rang to wish our son all the best for his 18th birthday. I heard a fire siren followed by a church bell. My Mum told me there was a service on the TV. So I have been watching that. They mentioned the Australian flag.

I always cry at the official bits, how it is important enough for Princess Anne to be present. I don't know what I expected to see, it was a nice service.

I think I enjoyed the speech by the Governor General and the Leader of the Federal Opposition.

I could pick out the people who represented Kinglake but couldn't guess which ones represented Flowerdale which I thought was a shame.

Comments

Joolz said…
Hi Linda

I thought the service was nice but I especially liked Bruce Woodley and his daughters performance with that couple from Kinglake. I cried and cried.

Wish your son a happy 18th! My Kirby is off the Adelaide tomorrow to start Uni life. Final packing today (although there is not much action at the moment - she is sticking close to her little sister and just watching DVDs with her). She had a final hurrah in Mt.Gambier last night with her friends so that was good.
Tears tomorrow though..

Cheers - Joolz
Anonymous said…
What a coming together your country is having at this sad time. I get teary-eyed too at these kinds of memorials.
Happy birthday to your son!
Here's a wish for a blessed year for him, for good health, good friends and a continued good heart!

Popular Posts