Back to Basics Challenge


Sowing seed or Planting


My daughter planted some lachenalias that were already shooting, a present from MIL. One of our neighbours has a square garden in the front lawn bordered in red ones, very pretty, I think when nothing much else is flowering.

My husband got two catepillars from a broccoli plant, that does look rather chewed.

Planning for The Future - meal planning, the next seasons garden plan, working out storage plans or more long term goals and projects like plans for digging root cellars


I have started printing the recipes I will use this week or two weeks. I am in two houses, haven't bought duplicate spices for the second house yet. Not sure if that is the best plan. However, I plan to cart the recipes around in the spare handbag I take between houses with my glasses etc. in it. That way I will know what it needed for that night and make sure I have it whereever I am. Last night we could have done with some salt!

Working for the Future - storing food, managing stores, preserving, building that home made cob or solar oven, adding house insulation, saving for manual grain mills etc


Picked up our second load of free straw on the side of the road.

Put up towel rails in the shower room and toilet room. Reused the ends and bought new chrome pipe. Sealed up more gaps that the mice could be coming in from.




This wall and door doesn't look much, but when we first got the house, the door was that aqua colour and the paint looked old like it may have had lead in it. My husband painted it so the towels wouldn't pick up the paint that wasn't stable. I have since learnt from a public toilet that these bricks look good tiled over. Tiles would make this house look really nice. We haven't ever done much tiling.

Did some work on the top cupboards in the kitchen.

My husband and son and middle daughter got another trailer load of wood for our old house for days we visit during the winter.

My husband has been working on making the louvre windows in the laundry less breezy. He also has looked in his key collection for locks on our bedroom so I can use the bathroom that is adjoining. It doesn't have a door on our bedroom side. We have one to fit but haven't done that yet.

My husband asked a work mate how to fix our blocked toilet. Thankfully it worked saving $400. It was a particular septic tank thing a place where things get caught.

Building Community - volunteering, donations, joining an existing community group, forming your own community group, taking a cake to a friend having a hard time, calling someone you just let drift out of your life, etc


My daughter tried on some shorts for me, and we got a bag and my husband took the shorts to the op-shop.

Learn a new Skill


I have been learning about baking with coconut milk. See some more about it here.



This meme comes from Belinda's blog.

Comments

Scrappy quilter said…
As always, wonderful reading what you are doing to get back to basics. Hugs..
Paola said…
I enjoy reading about your day to day life, Linda. Running two houses at the moment! You must be organised!

Popular Posts