What I learnt this week




Want to join in? Here is the instruction page at Musings Of A Housewife.

1. I learnt what microfibre towels look like. My son bought one and posted it made by Wild Country in a nylon and mesh toiletry sized bag.

2. That you can easily have all or parts of your blog with some comments into a book for about $15.

3. I saw a Malaysian Ringgit, in 50 and 10 denominations. I had ordered some from the bank awhile ago. My daughter needs them for her trip that she won as a Scholarship to Kuala Lumpur.

From Wiki:

The word ringgit means "jagged" in Malay and was originally used to refer to the serrated edges of silver Spanish dollars which circulated widely in the area during the 16th and 17th century Portuguese colonial era. The Singapore dollar and the Brunei dollar are also called ringgit in Malay (although currencies such as the U.S. and Australian dollars are dolar), hence its official abbreviation RM for Ringgit Malaysia.

The Malay names ringgit and sen were officially adopted as the sole official names in August 1975. Previously they had been known officially as dollars and cents in English and ringgit and sen in Malay, and in some parts of the country this usage continues. For example, in Malaysia one ringgit is "one dollar" in English and "tsit8-kho·1" (蜀塊/蜀块) in Hokkien. In the northern states of Peninsular Malaysia, denominations of 10 sen are called kupang in Malay ("poat8" in Hokkien), e.g. 50 sen is 5 kupang.



I found this interesting as the Singapore dollar is very similar to the Australia $1 and $2 coins. And since they use cents, it makes sense that it is OK to call a ringgit a dollar, which I tend to do. My daughter knows how to pronounce them, I don't say it right, and she got to sign for her 50 and 10 ringgit notes. AU$50 was 138 RM. I was worried I had bought some other kind of Ringgit apart from the Malaysian one I needed.

Eventually I learnt how to say it. Ring it, so simple.

I worked out what I wanted. I was checking a list of things she could buy and how much they would cost. Water is 1.20 RM. I figured she would need to buy that at least. The holographic strips are very pretty.

4. I learnt about America's Army. A game that is popular with a person we know and apparently can lead to the real army. After seeing it is not my cup of tea I don't think (didn't look very far). But it is interesting that this is what some people do online.

Comments

Popular Posts