Simplicity Novel ~ To show I am in the right century


I recently visited the author's website where she introduces herself and this series, lovely. Here it is. I am not usually fond of anything described as Women's. I am not a feminist really. That is why I had trouble starting off reading the first book. However, it is really subtle and helpful, at least I think so.

The book is about simplicity and covers green topics as well.

I have since read Touching Stars by the same author. I wasn't so taken with it, though I couldn't put the book down. I think I missed the messages in the bits at the end. I shouldn't read when the kids are at home. When they were little I didn't, not during the evenings. I had a lot of thoughts about it, I should have written them down.

Only this morning, (Wednesday), I finished yet another novel in this series called Sister's Choice.

What impresses me about these novels, (I think I have one left to read that I skipped accidently) is that anyone that spends a lot of time reading historical novels or wishing they were back in vintage times last century, can sort of touch base with what is considered normal this century.

The writer was a family counsellor. It is interesting to compare my personal values to those the author or society deems as normal. I haven't found anything really different, but it makes me think. It doesn't exactly fit with the vintage times. If you look at my last post you will see how much things have changed, even though in my mind I am still there sometimes.

There are still issues to do with tidying up as I mentioned when I wrote about Wedding Ring, the first novel in this series.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I am going to see if our library has these and put them on hold so I can read them.I picked up a book at the thrift store when I found al of the quilting things called "what I Onced Loved" by Jane Kirkpatrick. It is set in the Fall of 1853 and is about a circle of womenwho disocver the meaning of independence, forgiveness and love, according to the back cover anyways! Like you, I steer clear of anything that is sounds feministy, but this is a good read so far. I really am sticking with it, though, because alot of it is set in areas I am familiar with...Shasta City, Crescent City, the Klamath Basin areas, so I am fiding it more ionteresting then if it were set elsewhere.
It is apparently a series of three books (of course this is the last one!)in the Kinship and courage series. SHe has written a few more I will try as well.
Hope the locust haven't been bothering you...saw them on TV the other day..yuck!
Linda said…
I'm going to check my library for your book too.

I often wonder about how people from the US feel about books set in their own areas.

We had ads on the TV about the locusts before they hatched. I have lost track of what is happening. They didn't come this way. Will have to check that out.
Linda said…
I wonder what they will do with the lovely fruit trees if they get into Robinvale for example?

http://tinyurl.com/6ktp29
Yolanda said…
I love her writing.

Popular Posts