Reflection Saturday


Hosted by Doodles of Life.

I had a little ramble on on Christmas Eve. So much seems to happen in a short time. Twenty four hours later, my little girl who is seven has been asking me questions.

She wants to know how to stitch material together to make a blanket. I tell it it is called quilting. So I offered to find instructions for a child on how to make it. So we find this to start with, but will only make one side. She has always had a great aptitude for learning. I am so rapted. I know we probably won't make the perfect opportunities but we will try something and I think it is lovely.

We saw some interesting things on our drive on Christmas Day. Early on, well we left early, we saw a bird, probably a jay or a crow, chase a medium sized bunny onto the road with the wish to kill him! They saw the car and basically went back where they came from, bunny unharmed, or bird for that matter.

On the way home we saw a very small water bird on the side of the road. A minature of what I expected to see, and it disappeared into the grass. I think it was last Thursday, I saw movement in the grass halfway to grocery shopping. I wondered if it was a snake and the the bottom half of a tortoise disappearing into the grass also.

Speaking of snakes we did see a presumably dead one upside down, it had a white tummy. A couple of days ago I saw a blue-tongued lizard on the road.

We did get to look at the Christmas lights. We drove around last night. There were less than we expected. We were a little distracted though. Just after we started out hubby was tailed for ages, then pulled over by the police with lights everywhere. The first time for me I think. He was breathalised, and no harm done, but it wasn't the experience we were looking for exactly!

To make my fellow light watchers not worry about me, I did enjoy very much looking at the planets in the quieter area of town over the mountain and the first stars to come out. It reminded me of rabbit hunting at night, and hubby and I enjoyed talking about that. Apparently once probably this or last year, he picked our eldest up from the railway station, which last time came in something like 10pm. Add 1 1/2 hours to drive home. He said the stars were so amazing, there wasn't a blank part of the sky to be seen anywhere. He says our backyard can be amazing. He gets the prize for all the late night jobs.

On a more annoying note, it has been warmer, more like summer the past few days, today, Christmas Day the hottest. Sometimes late at night the spider start crawling around. I just found one, which I didn't identify, but usually the white tipped ones come out at this time on a warm night. So sorry it was crawling very fast, and it is now dead.

My Christmas included talking about engines and motorbikes. I couldn't convince hubby to take a ride around the block on the bike. He didn't even start it. It was started, but he didn't start it. In our hometown at one time people knew him by his bike.

Well I finally saw my Dad's headstone. It was very hot at the cemetery. You could feel yourself burning. I was able to show the girls his parents and Grandparents burial place as well. As you know I get to my hometown only a few times a year.

We limited our stops or I would have taken photos of the beautiful scuptures in the middle of the roundabouts there. The one I liked the best were three angels. They are make of a framework, outlines of angels, beautiful. I was very proud of my hometown.

That was my Christmas. Lots of driving, but nice in places as there were few people and we could make ourselves at home, like opening the car doors near the park, taking photos and eating some biscuits our of the tin we were given as a present. A drink of water and a play in the park and then onto the last leg of our journey. Some photos posted in Skywatch and some for That's My World Tuesday.

As you can see from the photo, my middle daughter made a good job of painting my clock, for my present for Christmas.





Comments

Dorothy said…
Well, you had quite a day! Still can't get used to it being summer there! Hope you have a happy new year!
Tilly said…
We have had some very clear (and cold!) nights recently and so have been able to stand in the garden and stargaze. We've had the most amazing views of Orion over our house.
We also had spider trouble - a very fast running whopper which was both too big and fast to catch and so unfortunately had to go to spider heaven!

Popular Posts