1950s Budget Menu Pt. 2

My first post 1950s Budget Menu mentioned Little Jenny Wren's menu that she actually followed for the family meals, inspired by a series of posts from Like Merchant Ships.

Here is an update from my thoughts from last time.

Today we went through my husband's Grandma's book. It is very special. I won't go into all the details, but some of it is a scrapbook. It is hard to tell which decade each recipe is from. The most interesting discovery that relates to my blogging was some Ezy-sauce recipes. They are exactly the same as the ones I have in my scrapbook. However, hers are pre-metric and mine aren't. I found that interesting.

My recipe book arrived. It is a book that came with an Astor fridge, if you bought one in the 1950s. I had been saying that we didn't have many or perhaps more than one 1950s cookbook.



What I did find, looking through it quickly, was something my Nana made that gave me a lot of joy when she made them with me, that I didn't have a recipe for, that I could say they were definitely them. I did post one though maybe somewhere else, but I am sure this is her Sponge Lillies. By the way, when did metric come in. I did look it up once, perhaps '74. Since this is a 1950s recipe it is in Imperial, which I take to mean to use spoons for measurements, and teacups for the cups. Also to remember a pound has 16? ounces in it, which means a modern butter block (in Australian, we don't have what you call sticks) is 8oz roughly (they changed the exactly size of the butter blocks) which can be cut into ounces. In the US you could probably use this recipe the way it is, using white sugar, and self rising flour. We use a lot of SR flour in Australia and less raising agents.

Sponge Lillies

Three eggs, 1 cup sugar, 1 cup self-raising flour, jelly, cream, salt.

Separate the whites from the yolks of eggs. Add a pinch of salt to the egg whites and beat until stiff. Gradually beat in the sugar. Add the egg yolks one at a time and beat well. Stir in the sifted flour. Drop the mixture in dessertspoons on to greased tray, leaving room to spread. Bake in a moderate oven, until a pale brown. (Do not allow to become crisp). Remove the cakes and twist into poke shapes. Fill with whipped cream and place pieces of very firm yellow jelly in each to form a tongue.

Ideas for meals? The fish recipes were all using fresh fish. Hubby says that is not a big deal. We jokingly (I think) said that maybe hubby and second son should run my car in by taking a trip to the beach to fish, and camping. It would be lovely to have fish in the freezer. How do we get it home, usually in an Eski with ice.

The meals were heavy on meat, which I am not sure if they are budget or not to be honest.

Comments

Popular Posts