Back to Basics Challenge


Sowing seed or Planting


I bought a carvolo nero from IGA on Thursday. It looks really good in the rose garden. I am hoping one plant is enough as they are around $4.50 each. They are called Pot Vegies or something like that.

Planning for The Future - meal planning, the next seasons garden plan, working out storage plans or more long term goals and projects like plans for digging root cellars


I am anticipating the recipes that called for carvolo nero that we ate last year with a substitute and what they will taste like if my plant does well. Surely we will get at least one meal out of it.

I bought the ingredients to make apple sauce that you use at the table. My husband has enough small bottles saved to put it in. You have to have small bottles to exhibit in the local Show. I am unsure if they have a section for it, and plan to look it up.

Working for the Future - storing food, managing stores, preserving, building that home made cob or solar oven, adding house insulation, saving for manual grain mills etc


We ordered a battery for a secondhand phone online. If it works out it is a phone with bluetooth, that my daughter wants rather than the phone she bought at Target fairly recently.

My husband tied up the loganberries/boysenberries? I had the idea all along to use the carport as I knew we wouldn't have the time for something more substantial. They were planted in spring 2007 and I specifically selected that spot. The string was recyled I think from straw bales.




On the way home we taste tested some wild apples for future reference. I also got out the themal shopping bag I keep in the door of my car and my husband picked a kilo or two apples because he thought we could use them. Right next to that tree was a beautiful plum. We all had a taste. The trees looked like what I imagine Laura Ingalls plums along Plum Creek to look like, though I am probably very wrong lol.


Building Community - volunteering, donations, joining an existing community group, forming your own community group, taking a cake to a friend having a hard time, calling someone you just let drift out of your life, etc


Well I read the local paper. I find it hard sometimes, but I do learn what is going on. When I first moved here I had the opportunity to join Red Cross. I found that some local ladies were involved in the bushfire registration process. They spoke about their experience in the paper.

I was asked by the library to archive part of my blog, and I gave permission for that.

Learn a new Skill


I revised my sewing skills ever so slightly again this week. My daughter and I went to the shop, the Emporium, and got two types of material, some cotton, zip and a pattern New Look 6644. She is learning sewing at school. I took particular notice of the sewing machine the lady at the shop uses and how it is similar to my vintage machine. I looked at the sewing goods on the wall, especially the quilting things.

This meme comes from Belinda's blog.

Comments

Scrappy quilter said…
What a great thing for your daughter to take at school. It's a lifeskill that I think is so important. Can't wait to hear more of what she has sewn.

I seen those apples on your other blog. Oh for the taste of some fresh apples. they are one of my favorite fruits.
Wow, you have been really busy! Fresh applesauce is the best...

Popular Posts